WI – University of Wisconsin-Madison Arboretum, Longenecker Horticultural Gardens
The University of Wisconsin Longenecker Horticultural Gardens is located in Madison, Wisconsin. The garden’s conifer collection had its beginning in 1939 with the planting of a large grove of white pine. Additional taxa were added in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s. Starting in the bicentennial year of 1976 and continuing through today, additional conifers have been added yearly. Currently the collection holds over 560 taxa. Specimens are grouped according to genus with collections of pine, fir, juniper, spruce, yew, hemlock, larch, Douglas fir, and ginkgo. The plantings are laid individually to allow them to attain ultimate form and size. From 1966 through 2015, Professor Ed Hasselkus, ACS member, served as garden curator and was responsible for the dynamic expansion of the gardens. In 2015, the garden was designated as an ACS Reference Garden. For more information see the arboretum website.
Seen in an overhead view, visitors walk among a hillside stand of conifer trees at Longnecker Gardens at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Arboretum during an autumn sunset on Oct. 5, 2011. The aerial photograph was made from a helicopter. (Photo by Jeff Miller/UW-Madison)